We should let go of the life we’ve deliberate to just accept the one that’s ready for us. –Joseph Campbell
I want one other, smaller surgical procedure. I’ve had intense sciatic ache for a number of months (a part of the explanation why I haven’t been writing). I’m so grateful to be below shut watch as a result of the medical doctors discovered the wrongdoer: a small blip on my decrease backbone (L5/S1) which they assume dripped down from the unique tumor. I’ve had the utmost quantity of radiation in that space, so surgical procedure is our subsequent finest step.
It’s gardening season, individuals! It’s time to weed out what now not serves us. This little punk tumor is now not serving me. What now not serves you?
Who? We’ve chosen Dr. Gokaslan, one of many main specialists in spinal tumors as a result of Dr. Al-Mefty “solely” specializes on the cranium. Dr. Gokaslan is identical physician who didn’t function on me in 2019 due to a hairpin flip of occasions.
Restoration? Acute restoration interval is about 3 weeks in RI. Then continued restoration at residence for a number of months.
Right here’s the approx. timeline:
June 14-21: 7 days in Rhode Island Hospital in Windfall. Kurt will keep at an AirBnb close by. Youngsters will keep residence in Boulder, taking good care of Leo, the canine.
June 21-28: I’m transferred to Newport Hospital Rehab Facility in Newport, Rhode Island for 7 days within the hospital to retrain my mind to make use of new nerves to stroll effectively. Kurt returns to Boulder.
June 28: Able to go residence (fingers crossed) to proceed to get well! (We all know this can be a good date as a result of it’s our good friend Gideon’s birthday!) I may have to stay round again east till July 5 to be close to my physician.
- That is spinal surgical procedure, not cranium or mind.
- I’m 99% wholesome–these tumors don’t have anything on me.
- My backbone will probably be fused on the backside now, too. For the reason that tumor is within the vertebrae at L5/S1, they’ll have to take out bone and stabilize me with a fusion and screws into my pelvis. I was only a ache within the neck, however now I’m additionally a ache within the a**!
- Due to the place the spot is, there’s a danger to the nerve that goes down my left leg. My surgeon says it’s potential, however unlikely, that it will likely be broken for good. (If I go away the tumor in, it IS doubtless that I’ll lose operate in that leg.) I’ve been grieving the potential lack of feeling or operate in my left leg. However I watched a 3-legged canine hike a mountain the opposite day and he or she impressed me to focus ahead on find out how to adapt.
Easy methods to assist:
- On June 14, gentle a candle and movie the tumor sliding off the bone and nerves simply
- Think about me wholesome, robust, and residential by June 30, in time for Kurt’s band’s gig on the Louisville, CO road truthful. @theintolerablesband
- As for Kurt & the children, I believe they’re all set, however we’ll maintain you posted
Dr. Al-Mefty (my cranium surgeon) as soon as mentioned, “Susie, you’re a fighter. This isn’t the tip, neither is it the start of the tip. It’s simply one other problem, and you might be good at these.”
My smart-a** self says, “Actually, Universe? THIS is what I’m “good” at? However what makes me “good” at challenges is that I don’t really feel alone. I’m so grateful; it’s not misplaced on me how privileged I’m to have the care that I obtain. And, I’m grateful for YOU for being there with me each step of the way in which. All of us have our personal mountains to face, (and all of us have a sore neck, knee or a**) however I firmly imagine that collectively, we will do something.