Right here on the Higher Good Science Heart, the conflict between Israel and Hamas is scary a spread of feelings: unhappiness, anger, worry, and extra. We’re studying the information day by day and wishing that there have been extra we might do to assist.
As an academic nonprofit, the most effective we will do, maybe, is to remind ourselves and our readers that peace is at all times potential, the overwhelming majority of individuals resist killing, even probably the most violent primates are able to change, there are steps we will all take to bridge our variations, and activism could make the world a greater place. We’ve gathered articles beneath that will help you perceive the roots of peace, conflict, and reconciliation; get entangled in activism; and assist your well-being and your kids’s—together with reminders of human goodness in instances of battle.
If you happen to’d wish to discover a extra direct solution to assist the folks of Israel and Gaza, right here is an glorious listing of organizations addressing the human crises that conflict creates. We hope you’ll take into account making a donation to considered one of them.
Click on to leap to a piece:
Selling peace and reconciliation
Reminders of human goodness
- Hope on the Battlefield: Navy leaders know a secret: The overwhelming majority of persons are overwhelmingly reluctant to take a human life.
- In Search of the Ethical Voice: What makes some folks show altruism and compassion within the midst of conflict? Two researchers are looking for out.
- Braveness Below Fireplace: When the Bosnian civil conflict broke out, Svetlana Broz looked for the humanity behind the horrific headlines. She discovered tales of people that risked their lives to assist victims of the conflict—and who impressed others to comply with their instance.
- Worlds With out Warfare: Ethnographic research discover that not all societies make conflict. In different phrases, conflict is just not intrinsic to humankind.
- Past Intercourse and Violence: Opposite to the standard view, violence is one thing people resort to out of worry—or attempt to keep away from altogether.
- Peace Amongst Primates: Anybody who says peace is just not a part of human nature is aware of too little about primates, together with ourselves.
- Why Is There Peace?: Violence is declining, argues psychologist Steven Pinker. What are we doing proper?